Friday, June 22, 2012

Square Foot Garden & Hinged Door Cage


Last year was my first attempt at square foot gardening and it was a complete FAILURE!  Despite trying every tip or trick I could find, my garden was eaten by the rabbits and squirrels that frequent our yard and didn't get a single fruit or vegetable out of my garden.  So this year I decided a completely covered cage was the only sure way to protect it.  

After getting a few ideas online, my husband made one from PVC pipe, chicken wire and zip ties. 




I got my square foot garden frame from Sam's Club and it's not the traditional 4'x4' size.  I couldn't have a cage that just lifted on and off like most of them I'd seen -- it would've been too awkward to maneuver. 




 I wanted something with "doors" so I could access my plants easily.  So my husband made some hinged doors using zip ties.
 


His idea was brilliant!  It stays shut with stakes on the outside (though we'll probably get a little latch at some point) and the two doors swing open so easily. 



I am so excited for my plants to grow! This year we planted sugar snap peas, zucchini, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, watermelon, cucumbers, carrots and beets.  We also have strawberries in a hanging basket and cherry tomatoes in a garden pot.  I admit I stand out there every day, just looking at my garden and grinning giddily.  Now those pesky critters can't touch my plants and I will be able to enjoy the harvest.  :)





9 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you posted this...it is exactly what I need and one of the reasons why I've been afraid to plant anything in our yard...that and lack of sunlight. We have an entire family of squirrels that live in the trees in our backyard. I've also seen several racoons. Now, here is an idea that I can work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We have deer that come down from the mountains and eat anything and everything we plant. We may have to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie --- what a blessing you are! I live in the SW desert near Tucson and am absolutely plagued by packrats, rabbits, ground squirrels and other critters. I have made elevated (waist-high) raised garden beds and these hinged front cages will be absolutely perfect ... they will cover and protect, yet still allow me easy access to water and care for the beds. Thanx for the brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea on the hinged doors. was the chicken wire pliable and easy enough to attach with the zip ties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exactly did he build them? Any chance of a step by step tutorial? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! For usin South Florida, it is the pesky, invasive iguanas. They are everywhere and eat everything. Ugh! I'm going to have my son build this little beauty so we can enjoy the fruit of our labor. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made these for all my fruit trees, about 6 years now. The squirrels ate all my peaches the first year I had a good crop. They munched on my pomegranates when they were green, I have semi-dwarf orange tree, 3 plum, 2 cherry, 3 apple and 1 avocado. They don't bother the lemon or lime tree. I keep my semi-dwarf trees trimmed to within 4 ft wide and 5 ft tall, which is the size of my panels. I zip tie them together. They are easy to store after the seasons is over. Excellent investment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a similar problem this year. I suspect rats. The problem with the chicken wire is that whatever the critters are, the can still squeeze through. I've switched to 1/2" hardware cloth. It cost a lot more, but so far it's doing the job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Thank you! But can you please elaborate on how the stakes keep the door shut? Do you have to take the stake out and replace it each time or do you tie the gate to it with....?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...