Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What I Read: April

Without a doubt, The Fault in Our Stars was my favorite book this month!  Other than that, most of my books were just okay.  I'm really in need of a great can't-put-it-down, can't-stop-thinking-about-it-even-when-I'm-not-reading-it kind of book!


The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had a little bit of a hard time getting into the story and felt like it took a while for it to really get going. I also got annoyed at how long it took Chloe to accept the fact that she sees ghosts. I get that the author was trying to make it seem more realistic, but to me it just seemed to drag on. Other than that I really enjoyed this story. I liked the characters well enough and the ending was such a cliffhanger that I can't wait to find out more!!!!



The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was pure genius. It was heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, witty, smart. For the first half I had a giddy grin plastered to my face, falling in love with Hazel & Augustus and watching their relationship grow. For the second half I bawled my eyes out, sobbing so much at times I couldn't catch my breath. These characters were REAL to me. The situations they were in were REAL. Their every emotion and thought was REAL. I just can't put into words how I felt about this book but I am so glad I read it. It makes me want to be a better person and makes me more grateful for the trials I have in my life, that in comparison, they really aren't so tough after all.



The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)The Awakening (Darkest Powers #2) by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought this was pretty good. There were some things that got on my nerves a bit, like the constant references to "if this was a movie" and some things were a little .... gross (like bathroom references, throwing up, etc -- too much info for me!). Other than that I still enjoyed the story and couldn't put the book down. I hate that these books end in such huge cliffhangers though! Luckily I had the next one so I could start into it immediately. :)



The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)The Reckoning (Darkest Powers #3) by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought this was a really good ending to the series. Fast paced and things were resolved without being too "perfect." Overall with this series, I just never really fell in love with any of the characters and was never quite attached. But it was still a quick entertaining read and sometimes that's all you need. :)



Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles, #3)Gregor And The Curse Of The Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't like this one quite as much as the other two. It seemed to drag in a few places and I had a hard time picking it up. But all in all, still good. 3.5 stars



Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall I enjoyed this book. It was a very interesting world the author created and I also liked the main characters. There were times that were edge-of-your-seat can't-book-the-book-down, and times that were very slow when i had to keep re-reading the same paragraph over and over. But all in all a good book.  3.5 stars



Between Shades of GrayBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a very sad yet beautiful book. It gives me a heavy heart reading books like this and makes me grateful for what I have and the things I don't have to deal with that so many people did.








1 comment:

  1. Love the book suggestions! I LOVE to read and have been looking for a good book.
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...