Friday, February 10, 2012

Frugal Friday - Spray Painted Beans




Remember my spray painted beans from my guest bedroom? Well I decided to make some in Valentine's colors and figured I'd give a tutorial and share a few tips.




I've found the easiest way to do these is using a shallow box.  Spread the beans out in a single layer and give them a coat of paint.  Shake the box and spray some more; keep shaking and spraying to cover all sides.  Work quickly because they will start sticking together.  Once they are dry you can break them apart.  Let them dry completely before using them.

*I've found that flat paint works a little better than glossy -- they don't become so sticky.  But if you use glossy you can give them a coat of clear sealant and that will help.*

 

I also thought it would be fun to spray paint some conversation hearts.  I bought them on clearance last year since I don't like to eat them and figured they'd be cute for decorating.  They match my new plate perfectly! :)


17 comments:

  1. I love the spray painting of conversation hearts...what a cool idea! Love your color combination. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is probably the only good use for conversation hearts. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA!!! Love it. Many Thanks.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good idea!! Im gonna have to try this. I love how well the conversation hearts match the plate :)
    -barbie @ Style of a Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We thought this was such a neat idea we added your link to our Bowdabra Friday Feature. We are sure our readers will enjoy you craft as much as we did. http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/02/17/bowdabra-feature-friday-week-4/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous and inexpensive way to decorate! Why didn't I think of that!! I will be using your idea very, very soon! Gotta run, going to the grocery store for beans and Walmart for spray paints! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous and inexpensive way to decorate! Why didn't I think of that!! I will be using your idea very, very soon! Gotta run, going to the grocery store for beans and Walmart for spray paints! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. I've been trying to look for vase fillers for our center pieces at the wedding ... But I need to add water to the vase ... is there something, like some of sealant that I could use to protect the color from coming off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, not that i know of. plus putting the beans in water would probably cause them to swell.

      Delete
    2. do a vase-inside-a-vase. Have the beans in the larger vase surrounding the smaller one that contains the water. :) Just an idea!

      Delete
    3. Love the look of these... just have to make sure all kids know that they are no longer edible. :)

      Delete
  9. Plasma Coating Process , should bond effectively to bare metal, and this page includes some tips about selecting primers and spraying technique for bare metal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet you could do the same thing with corn kernels

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just see my hubby grabbing a handful, thinking they were candy! I love it *maniacal laughter*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't the paint chip off when you break the beans apart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It chips just a little in some places but it's not really noticeable :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...