Friday, January 20, 2012

Frugal Friday - Upcycled Bottles






After New Years we had several empty Sparkling Cider bottles. I started to throw them away but thought *maybe* I could turn them into something cute! Valentine's is around the corner and I'm in need of a few more decorations. :)





So first I removed all the labels (Goo Gone & a razor worked perfectly for this) and cleaned them out.














Then, using a technique I found on Pinterest, I used my glue gun to "draw" words on them.  They're not exactly perfect, but it worked.  The glue strings can be cleaned off easily with some Goo Gone dabbed on a paper towel. 





Once the glue was dry I took them outside to paint.  Make sure you do several light coats of spray paint instead of trying to get it completely covered in one coat -- otherwise the paint will start to drip.  (Not that I'd know from personal experience or anything!)  Once the paint was dry I applied a clear coat sealer.  Then I added a bit of twine to the top and they were done!  I love the fun bright colors and am so happy with how they turned out.















*You could also do this with mason jars or any other drink or food jars or bottles you don't want to throw out.*
































Linked to:
WhipperBerry


Fun Stuff FridaysDIY under $5One Artsy Mama
The Shabby Nest








12 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! I love them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, AWESOME!! I'm totally gonna do this, have the bottles and everything!! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea! We have those bottles left from New Year's and our anniversary too! Thanks for the inspiration...can I beg you to share it here at my party?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/shine-on-fridays-11-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny I saved my botttles too for a later project but wasn't sure what I was gonna do with them yet! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a CLEVER idea!!! I'd love to invite you to link up with us for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I love this idea!
    I've just pinned it on pinterest! Now following your blog - please come visit me at Just For Daisy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah now this is just too cool, especially the glue gun trick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this!!! I am making them today! What kind of paint did you use? Spray Paint? Acrylic?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...